The dog days of summer are definitely over. Hello crisp, fall air. Hi chai lattes and pumpkin-flavored everything. Let’s not forget, of course, to say hello to fall fashion, which is quite possibly my favorite season for fashion. I love fall. I’ve always loved fall.
When I was a youngster, I would think of fall as the beginning. The start of an exciting new school year. Yes, I was one of those kids who was secretly excited to return to school. In fact, fall was more of a new beginning than the actual new year in my mind. Anybody with me on this one? But these days as a career woman, the changing of the leaves doesn’t bring anything new. I do the same thing day in and day out, no matter the season. I’m determined to do some fall activities over the next couple of months and enjoy this pleasant time of year. Let’s see how many things I can check off of my fall to-do list this year.
Fall To-Do List:
1. Visit an apple orchard and take the big frijol with me. I’ve done this one time in my life. I went to Wilson’s Orchard in Iowa City and I remember it being a fun experience with marvelous, fresh apples.
2. Carve a pumpkin. Always a favorite fall activity.
3. Go to a football game. Fall and football. What goes together better? I have to admit, I’m not a huge football fan but I do love the excitement of being in a stadium.
4. Make my own chai-tea mix. Specifically, this one that I found on Pinterest. I could guzzle chai tea like it’s going out of style.
5. Buy some Hunter boots. I think these would work well in snow with a liner, no?
6. Buy some fall colored sweaters. Gold, burnt orange, khaki. Bring it on.
7. Go to a haunted house with the big frijol to unleash my inner high-school spirit. Boo!
8. Drive around looking at autumn leaves…. while listening to Cat Stevens. Cat Stevens will forever remind me of the days when Lu came to visit me in Lexington and we would drive through the beautiful Kentucky countryside in the fall listening to Cat Stevens. It is one of my favorite memories and I cannot listen to his music without nostalgia.
9. Indulge in pumpkin-flavored everything. Including the best pumpkin bread ever. Here is the recipe and everybody should make it. If you want it a little bit healthier, exchange half of the oil for unsweetened applesauce a 1:1 ratio. Tastes exactly the same. Want to make it a little less healthier?
Add cream cheese frosting.
10. FINISH the Bank of America Chicago Marathon! I’ve been training for the past couple of months and we are just over three weeks away. ¡Ay caramba!
Colorado in the fall is a magical place. I miss it. The glowing aspen leaves are so beautiful. Below are a few pictures I snapped while living in Colorado. I’d love to go back and visit Boulder this fall but I feel that one is a little unrealistic to make the list.
Any fun fall activities I missed on my to-do list? xo, lw